Choice Publishing Book Store

From the Sea to the Mountains


A Pastoral Journey

Through four centuries

1616 - 2016


By Paul Lyng


ISBN:  978-1-911131-19-9


Price:  €20


A Parish since 1616



Parishes as we now know them did not exist in the year 1616, the church was mainly influenced by monastery’s dotted around Ireland, such as Glendalough which was a monastic city, and was part of the Dublin diocese at that time, the patrons of the diocese now are St. Kevin and St. Laurence O’Toole.  At the synod of Kilkenny in 1616 it was decided to group large areas into one parish under the administration of a parish priest.  The boundary of the parish from the sea to the mountains decided by the archdiocese of Dublin under Archbishop Eugene Matthews 1611-1623 was as follows: from Irishtown through Donnybrook, Milltown, Churchtown, Rathfarnham, to the top of the Three Rock mountain down trough Sandyford, the Brewery Road, taking in Dundrum, Stillorgan, Galloping Green, down Newtown Park Avenue, up Stradbrook Road to Rockford, from there it stretched across to Seapoint and back along the coast to Irishtown/Ringsend.

At that time there was only 400 people in this large tract of land, working for the Fitzwilliam’s who were the landlords, and for the landed gentry. These people were living in appalling conditions in shacks, and they had large families, with no sanitation and very little in the way of nourishment. Some of the more fortunate of them were working as servants, in these large estates, and most of the men were working on the land, producing main crops of wheat, barley, and vegetables, there were also cows, pigs and poultry. Most of these very high yielding crops were bought to the Smithfield corn market in Dublin city. They also produced a very large amount of eggs and butter and Booterstown to this very day is referred to as Butterstown by some of the older people.  This is the reason that they were not affected by the famines, that occurred around those times, especially the terrible famine of 1845-47, which claimed the disappearance of roughly 5 million people, as the population had now grown to 8 million, many people emigrated on the so called coffin ships to the Americas, and the rest to their graves.




See Other Books by Paul Lyng



A Snapshot of the 1940s


ISBN: 978-1-907107-72-6